Active Older Adults
Exercise is especially important for older adults. A regular routine can help reduce common physical ailments such as stiff joints and aching backs, therefore making activities of daily living and recreational pursuits easier. The Thomasville YMCA defines an Active Older Adult as an individual 55 years or older. Professional YMCA staff will lead all programs and will motivate and encourage participants to reach their full potential. Please contact Kim Smith at 226-3446 for further details.
SilverSneakers is a fun, energizing program that helps older adults take greater control of their health by encouraging physical activity and offering social events.
Unlock the door to greater independence and a healthier life with SilverSneakers. Health plans around the country offer our award-winning program to people who are eligible for Medicare or to group retirees. SilverSneakers provides a fitness center membership to any participating location across the country. This great benefit includes:
- Thomasville YMCA is the largest SilverSneakers provider in Thomasville-Thomas County.
- Access to conditioning classes, exercise equipment, pool, sauna and other available amenities.
- Customized SilverSneakers classes designed exclusively for older adults who want to improve their strength, flexibility, balance and endurance.
- Health education seminars and other events that promote the benefits of a healthy lifestyle
- A specially trained Program Advisor at the YMCA to introduce you to SilverSneakers and help you get started.
- Member-only access to online support that can help you lose weight, quit smoking or reduce your stress
For more information about Silver Sneakers at the Thomasville YMCA contact Kaytie Long at (229) 226-3446.
Young At Heart group exercise classes are designed with the active older adult and beginner in mind.
- Aqua Fit
- Deep Fit
- Adults In Motion
- Beginner Pilates
- Chair Yoga
- Zumba Gold
- Beginner Yoga
Social Events & Activities
Start your morning off with a cup of coffee in the common area while you sign up for a “Young at Heart” social activity or field trip. Several events are held throughout the year for your enjoyment..
Join us for
- Monthly Birthday Celebrations
- Seasonal Field Trips
- Holiday Dinners
- Health Fairs
- Senior Health & Wellness Day
- Senior Appreciation Days
- And much more!