Downtown Christmas Parade
*Monday – December 6th at 6:30 PM
(first Monday in December)
THEME: Home for the Holidays!
Rules and Reminders
The parade will start at the intersection of Clay and Broad and will end at the Farmer’s Market.
We are not able to give you an exact location on Broad St. or Clay St for your number. We do not put the numbers down until the afternoon of the parade. The even numbers will be on the right and the odd numbers will be on the left. The lower your number, the closer to Broad Street you will be. All bands will assemble on Clay Street between Madison and Broad. Parade organizers will be there to finalize the lineup and to assist you.
Rules and Reminders
1. EVERYONE will end at the Farmer's Market.
- This means you cannot unload in the middle of Smith Ave. You have to pull into the farmer's market and unload.
- Please don’t stop right when you get into the Farmer’s Market gates, listen to the parade official and keep moving up and then to the side to safely unload from your float, etc.
- Walkers will go to the left of the shed/auction block towards the fence and all vehicles will go to the right into the open parking lot. We will have signage and parade officials to assist you.
- If you don't have to unload anyone or have walkers you can continue on Smith Ave with your parade entry. The police and parade officials will let you by, just let them know.
- Bands will end at the farmer's market.
- Communicate with parents so that they will know where to pick their child up. An adult from your group must be responsible for the children until their parents arrive.
2. POLICE –
- The police will shut down Smith and Hansell at 5 PM
- The police will shut down the intersection of Smith and Kern at 6:30 PM
- There is a blue light command vehicle that will be located at the Health Department, all lost children will be taken here.
- The police will not let non-parade entries onto Clay or Broad. Please encourage parents dropping off children to come up the nearest side street and walk to their destination.
3. Parade Officials will have on neon yellow bibs. Their job is to keep both participants and spectators safe and informed. Listen and follow their directions in order to ensure a safe parade! If you have any questions, both officials and police will have the lineup and can assist you.
4. No one is to dress as SANTA! We will have only one Santa and we take care of that. Children get confused as to why there is more than one and we don't want parents having to explain that.
5. You may hand out candy (not throw!) and/or discount/freebies. Do not hand out flyers with information as they will get thrown on the ground.
6. Music containing rude or obscene lyrics will not be allowed.
7. All entries are required to maintain a forward motion at all times. (This is the biggest complaint we have every year) We will have parade officials along the parade route to encourage forward motion. When you stop it creates gaps! So please keep moving!
8. JUDGING INFORMATION - THEME: Home for the Holidays!- Judges will evaluate each entry's interpretation of the parade theme. All entries being judged must be in place no later than 5:30 PM. Judging will begin promptly at 5:30 PM and entries not ready at that time will not be judged. Entries not being judged must be lined up by 6 PM. The parade will start promptly at 6:30 PM.
9. Please use your best judgment. Police will be located all along the parade route and entries points.
10. Please stay in line according to your number. Do not try to get in front of anyone else.
11. All animals must be kept on leads under complete control in their assigned spots. Pooper scoopers are required with all animal entries.
Thomasville YMCA/Thomas County Recreation looks forward to this event each year and feels that it is a great Thomasville tradition. We thank you again for your participation in helping us to have a successful parade.
For more information please contact Katie Ketchum at 229-226-3446 or email@example.com